
I haven't been bidding on much from eBay lately, but I was cleaning my office and found this interesting "Magic Disc" that I had won a few months back. It looks to be some sort of late-'70s-era German cardboard toy, with copy on the package which reads "Dreh diese platte mit dem finger und hor gut zu." Altavista.com's Babelfish translator tells me that this means "Trick this plate with the finger and hear well too."
Basically, it's a cardboard record player. The only "speaker" is the cardboard frame itself, which has an ominous-looking needle attached to it, which I doubt would have even passed muster for a "age 5-10" toy in the states back in the '70s. You unfold the folder, balance the needle on the plastic record, and spin it with your finger... and a surprisingly loud recording plays through the vibrating cardboard. Pretty cool.

Only thing is that it's very hard to smoothly spin the record with your finger, so the voices on the brief recording are quite warbley. Still, an interesting toy.
Listen to the Peter Pan Magic Disc.




No comments:
Post a Comment