
I generally sharpen and brighten the photos I take before posting them to the blog, but this picture is straight out of the camera. It's a beautiful, sienna-hued evening this Friday the 13th in San Jose, compliments of the Bonny Doon wildfire burning in the Santa Cruz mountains 50 miles south of here. When you walk outside, the colors of the flowers pop to life in amazing ways, and the sunlight, which I expect will shortly explode into a crimson sunset, casts everything in a mysterious amber glow, as if we are living under the canopy of the world's largest Tiffany lamp. What a perfect end to the only Friday the 13th of 2008!
P.S. As I write this, the Bonny Doon fire, which started Wednesday afternoon, is about 30% contained at 700 acres. There are 900 firefighters at work, and they expect full containment sometime Saturday. It's early in the California wildfire season, and we've already had two major blazes within a 45 minute drive. Wow!
And R.I.P. Tim Russert. What a shocking loss to the news community - I will really miss his work. Seems like I was just watching him on "Morning Joe." I can't believe he's gone.




2 comments:
That's really the most positive commentary on a wild fire I've ever heard. Way to see the glass half full, or the hills only half burnt!
Well - you know wildfires are a required part of the lifecyle of the chaparral woodlands around here. Gives the nutrients back to the soil. So there's another positive commentary :) Then again, I don't know anyone that built a house in the hills and is at risk, so I can afford to look at the bright side.
Post a Comment