Thursday, May 22, 2008

Where's LaBeouf.

Today I trekked out to Manteca (about a 160-mile round trip journey) to see a press "sneak preview" of Indy 4, aka "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." (These are the types of perks that lead one to pursue a career in journalism - "sneak previews," free sun visors, tickets to the ice skating shows when they come through town, etc.)

I was attending this press "preview" at the invitation of Dorfman Pacific Headwear and Accessories ("Improving on the Classics Since 1921"), a Stockton-based corporation. Apparently, back in the early 1980s, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford walked into a Dorfman Pacific outlet off the street and had the proprietor customize a fur-felt widebrim commonly called "The Poet," a design which has been around since the late 1800s. "The Poet" became a sensation the moment "Raiders of the Lost Ark" hit the theaters, and Dorfman Pacific remains the official distributor of the iconic hat (which they now offer in a variety of styles, including a beaver fur version almost exactly like the one worn in the films, and a more common wool felt version.)

I have to admit that part of the reason I was willing to drive 3 hours to see the film was the offer of a free Indiana Jones hat. I received my simple wool Indiana Jones hat as promised, though the label states that they are made in China, so I assume Dorfman Pacific is the designer/distributor.

I arrived just moments before the film was scheduled to begin to a sea of Dorfs, all crowding around the entrance of the theater in identical felt Indiana Jones hats and all wearing commemorative t-shirts that read "Like the Movie... LOVE the Hat!" on the back with the film's logo on the front. I squeezed by, got my press pass and hat, and followed the crowd into the theater. There was also free popcorn and drinks, but I skipped the snacks and decided not to add any more liquid to the situation than necessary, since I didn't want to miss any of the film.

Before the theater darkened, a spokesperson for the Dorfs stood and thanked everyone for their hard work (and patted himself copiously on the back for giving the whole company the day off - around 175 folks - and bussing them to Manteca to see the film. I suppose it's a pretty cool thing to do.) He also made a huge point of how we were seeing the movie before "anyone in the entire country!" was able to later this afternoon, though most major movie markets got a jump on the Thursday release date by hosting midnight shows last night, which I'm certain Paramount Pictures highly encouraged, in an attempt to help this 5-day Memorial Day "weekend" box office gross break some records. Nevertheless, I'm sure that we did see the film before anyone else in Manteca, which isn't that bad.

I'll try to leave out spoilers - but in keeping with the theme of this post, I was surprised at how touching it was to experience firsthand the pride these folks took in their famous fedora. Before Indy is even introduced in the film, the hat gets a small but mighty role, and the crowd went nuts. And as a perfect bookend, the film also ends with the hat back in the starring role in a sweet little vignette. "Iconic" this item certainly is.

Regarding the film - well, for people like me, it's a must-see no matter how bad it is. Not that it's a bad movie - but the years seem to have broken the mold, and the film doesn't feel like a continuation of the trilogy, but rather a really great attempt to simulate a continuation. George Lucas has said things about changing the feel from a '30s-era serial to a '50s era pulp/sci-fi flick, but I can't say that was too successful. I guess it's because I wouldn't say Indy ever felt like an old serial in the first place. The trilogy definitely created its own rhythm and pacing, and it feels like "Crystal Skull" is trying desperately to recall that pace with mixed results.

The film starts with some awkward blocking and obvious VO dubbing that is a bit unsettling, and a couple over-the-shoulder shots that almost seem to be trying to dissuade you from the fact that you're looking at the back of the head of the real actors, as opposed to stand-ins. I suppose this is all part of some skillful pace-setting, but I found it disjointed. But the "feel" becomes familiar before too much of the movie has passed, and though that feel is not quite as relaxed as the original trilogy films, the story takes over quickly enough.

(Minor spoilers follow.)

If you care about this type of thing, you've probably already heard that Area 51 figures into the setting and general plot of the film - in a story that is probably similar to something George Lucas has reportedly been simmering with for the past decade. I find it incredible that the Hollywood filmmaking community seems to have mostly determined what extraterrestrial beings must look like (with "E.T." being somewhat of an exception), and they rarely stray from this blueprint. No new extraterrestrial design work can be found in "Crystal Skull" - heck, if anything, I suppose director Steven Spielberg may be paying homage to his own creations from "Close Encounters."

Indy's relationship with Marion (last seen in "Raiders") gives the film a "full-circle" sensibility, but the relationship seems to be founded mostly on bickering. The serious, no-nonsense drinking-contest Marion from "Raiders" is nowhere to be seen in the new film, although there are some sweet moments where the older, 50+ Marion of the new film lets her guard down and shows how happy she is to be back in the clutches of Colonel Jones (whoops - another spoiler!)

Anyway - folks like me will nitpick this film to death, but just go see it already. It was awesome. And the special effects are not horribly obvious animations, which is becoming a problem these digital days. Yeah, it's a great popcorn film. I'll have to catch it on the big screen a few more times, at least.

Dum de-dum-DUM, dum de-DUMMMM.... Dum de-dum-DUM, dum de-DUM, DUM, DUM!


Raiders Of The Lost Ark: The Raiders March - John Williams

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

Glad to hear you had a great trip out to the Valley. I'm sure it was a windy drive over. Manteca is where it's happenin' man! I hope you guys are doing well. We really need to see you again and your growing daughter especially!