Tuesday, August 01, 2006

JCS grief

It seems to be the season of Jesus Christ Superstar. It turns out that just one week ago, a quick movie reunion fundraising concert was announced to be held in the Ricardo Montalban theatre down in LA that would feature (from the '73 film) Ted Neeley as Jesus, Yvonne Elliman as Mary Magdalene and Barry Dennen as Pontius Pilate, and guest stars Ben Vereen as Judas Iscariot, Clint Holmes as Simon Zealotes and - get this - Jack Black as Herod. The show is less than two weeks away, on August 13.

So I heard about it a couple days before the tickets went on sale last Sunday, and I got home from church about three hours after tickets went on sale at 10 am. The prices ranged from $110 to $520 a seat, so I logged on quickly and there were about a dozen $110 tickets left. I looked at the screen for a long, long, time. Three tickets sold while I was in my JCS reverie.

With a baby coming, I couldn't justify the $250+ with service charges it would have cost for two seats, so I had to pass. But I sure hope they record this show and make it available on CD someday. It won't happen. But man, what a show.

Still hope to get to see Ted Neeley sometime during his JCS "Farewell Tour" that goes through next January. We'll see.

No comments: